- To establish and maintain an organization of forensic psychiatrists in Canada for the advancement of the science and practice of medicine in the specialty of forensic psychiatry and to promote the highest standards of patient care and professional practice.
- To develop standards of practice in forensic psychiatry and to further the continuing education of practising forensic psychiatrists.
- To improve relationships between psychiatrists and other professionals working in the field of forensic psychiatry.
- To stimulate and encourage research in forensic psychiatry and related fields.
- To undertake an advocacy role on issues related to forensic psychiatry in cooperation with other interested national and provincial organizations.
- To publish journals and other literature for the exchange of information and dissemination of knowledge specific to the field of forensic psychiatry or generally in the area of psychiatry.
- To provide information to the public relating to the area of psychiatry and law.